[ptls][tc] OpenStack User Survey Updates

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Aug 22 07:21:03 UTC 2023

Hi,

Dnia poniedziałek, 21 sierpnia 2023 20:10:38 CEST Jeremy Stanley pisze:
> On 2023-08-21 12:50:57 -0500 (-0500), Allison Price wrote:
> [...]
> > Even if something is not actively maintained upstream, it is often
> > still put into production which is good knowledge for the
> > community.
> [...]
>
> For that matter, we tend to avoid removing options which were valid
> for old releases, because many respondents are in fact running
> (sometimes very) old releases.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

In this question there are actually mixed core plugins (like old Openvswitch) and ML2 plugin's mechanism drivers (like e.g. ML2-Openvswitch).
Those old core plugins which we proposed to remove were removed from Neutron around version (2015.0.0 and 7.0.0 - I don't even remember what OpenStack version it was then).
Currently we think that this may be confusing for people as we have seen pretty many people choosing it (Openvswitch 43% and ML2-Openvswitch 46% for example in 2022 survey) but I really doubt that 43% of responders are still using Neutron 2015.0.0 so they are really using old Openvswitch core plugin.
And it's similar for other old core plugins which don't exists anymore for long time and have "duplicated" answers as ML2 driver in the same question.

For us the best would be to have 2 separate questions related to that:
1. What core plugin are You using?
2. (Optional) If You choose ML2 in previous question, what mechanism drivers are You using?

And then in 1. we could keep all those very old and not existing core plugins like Openvswitch or Linuxbridge and in the second question have all the "ML2 - ...." answers.
But I'm not sure if we can add yet another Neutron related question to the survey so that's why we though it will be better to not confuse people with very old core plugins and current ML2 drivers for the same backend technology.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer