VM state wont update on power failure

Shrey Chauhan shr.chauhan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 20:03:55 UTC 2023

Hi,

Currently I am running xena version of openstack.
I am confused about one thing.
Running a 3 node cluster. In case of a power failure my vm still shows as
active (vm_state = active, power_state = running), even though in KVM they
are in shutoff state.
When I bring back the node and restart nova the state changes to 'shutoff'.
What I am not understanding, is nova managing only local vms power states.
Its a 3 node cluster, so nova compute running on other node should change
the state in the database, isnt it? Am I missing any nova or linvirt
configuration here?
Thanks in advance for any  kind of help here

Thanks and regards,
Shrey