[openstack][neutron] it is good if we set fixed ip and set ip in instance netplan also

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Sun Aug 13 08:09:33 UTC 2023

Which part is unclear? I added [1] where the physical network
structure is explained a bit.
The major advantage of using provider networks is that the compute
nodes are themselves physically attached to the external (provider)
network, so VM traffic doesn't have to be routed across
control/network nodes. That mitigates a potential bottleneck if for
example you only have on control node, lots of VMs and all of them
send their traffic through that one control node. Spreading that load
out across the compute nodes reduces the load on the control node(s).
So if our control nodes fail the VMs in the provider networks are not
affected.
Apart from that, if your DHCP agents misbehave I definitely would look
into that and fix it, independent of provider networks. The logs might
reveal something, for example if the agents are overloaded. We saw
that last year in a customer cloud where only one agent was available
due to power outage on the second control node (third one was in
maintenance). We also increased "dhcp_agents_per_network" to 2
(default 1) which seems to have helped there as well. We haven't had
any issues since then.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/launch-instance-networks-provider.html