[nova] Slow nvme performance for local storage instances

Sven Kieske kieske at osism.tech
Wed Aug 9 11:59:55 UTC 2023

Hi,

I can't cover everything here, because performance is a huge topic, but
here are some questions which I didn't find the answer to:

which nvme is this? is this a consumer device by chance?

which openstack release are you running, which hypervisor os and which
guest os and kernel versions?

which deployment method do you use?

> *[5] image properties:
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/rbd/rbd-openstack/#image-properties
> <https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/rbd/rbd-openstack/#image-properties

at least the ceph recommendations for virtio-scsi are somewhat outdated
as virtio-blk is, depending on the benchmark you look at - faster and
also supports discard (it's a well hidden secret, but it's true).

I'd test with virtio-blk first and make sure deadline scheduler is used
inside the vm and caching should be none.

HTH

--
Sven Kieske
Senior Cloud Engineer

Mail: kieske at osism.tech
Web: https://osism.tech

OSISM GmbH
Teckstraße 62 / 70190 Stuttgart / Deutschland

Geschäftsführer: Christian Berendt
Unternehmenssitz: Stuttgart
Amtsgericht: Stuttgart, HRB 756139