instance memory save and restore

Tony Liu tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:22:58 UTC 2023

Hi,

VMWare vCenter has such feature to snapshot/save instance memory along with disk.
Then instance can be reverted to that snapshot later when needed.

OpenStack doesn't seem to support it. Any plan to work on that?

Actually, I'm looking for the motivation/requirement to for that feature.
Typically, we snapshot/backup storage, then restore the storage and restart/reboot
the host/instance. Would that be sufficient? I think there will be a chance of inconsistence
between memory and storage. That's why we may need to save the state of both memory
and storage. Does that make sense?

Any opinions is welcome.

Thanks!
Tony