[kolla-ansible][swift][ceph]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 26 13:34:25 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-26 08:50:24 +0000 (+0000), Danny Webb wrote:
> So if I remember correctly from when we did this a long while
> back, you don't really do much on the openstack deployment side.
> Ceph comes with a swift compliant interface so the only thing
> required was in the ceph.conf to enable keystone as an
> authentication mechanism.
[...]

That's not really the same thing as backing actual Swift services
with data stored in Ceph, that's replacing the user-facing Swift API
with Ceph's attempt to recreate some of the same functionality. For
a lot of people that's "good enough" but note that there are a lot
of things which won't be quite the same (like lack of proper
multi-tenant namespacing for containers, performance limitations
with large container counts, et cetera) but also there's a number of
Swift features that Ceph simply doesn't have.
--
Jeremy Stanley