Does cinder-backup support multi-backend?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Wed Apr 12 07:06:15 UTC 2023

Wondel, Khôi,

On 06/04/2023 09:39, Rajat Dhasmana wrote:
> Currently configuring multiple cinder backup backends is not supported.
> This was brought up in our last cinder meeting on 06 April, 2023[1].
> A spec was proposed to implement this[2] but there aren't any patches
> to implement this.
> Christian Rohmann (crohmann on IRC) has shown interest in this topic,
> so probably you can contact him about the details and can collaborate
> on the effort.
>
> [1]
> https://meetings.opendev.org/irclogs/%23openstack-meeting-alt/%23openstack-meeting-alt.2023-04-05.log.html#t2023-04-05T14:50:24
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder-specs/+/712301

I am just as interested as you to have this feature.
First to allow transitioning from one backup backend to another, but
also to offer multiple "types" of backups.
One could i.e. be "onsite" the other "offsite".

I gladly rework the spec and propose it for Bobcat. But I do not have
the capacity to implement this.
Yes, cinder itself and the already present support for different volume
types could serve as some kind of blueprint, but having more than one
type of backup storage likely is a little more complicated to implement
and transition to as it first appears.

So what are your thoughts on the matter then?

Regards

Christian