[nova][cinder] why volumes can only be attached and dettached for running instances

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 16:27:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-04-06 at 23:21 +0800, kaqiu pi wrote:
> hello,
>
> I can only attached and dettached volumes for running instances in
> openstack.
nova allows you to attach volume to instance that are stopped.
instance in the shelve offloaded state required micoverion  v2.20 and multi attach requires  v2.60
https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=attach-a-volume-to-an-instance-detail#attach-a-volume-to-an-instance

for volume attachment to work with virtio blk you need to hanve enough pci slots in teh vm free for the pci hotplug to succeed.

if you are using vritio-scsi via hw_disk_bus=scsi the pci requirement does not apply.