Does Openstack support the notion of cinder backend in maintenance mode?

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 09:16:38 UTC 2023

On 02/04, Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> In other words, when you disable a cinder backend you cannot allocate
> volumes on it.
> This is what you want.
> Ignazio

Hi,

A clarification for anyone reading this, please pay careful attention to
Ignazio's wording, it's important: "cannot allocate volumes".

Just because Cinder won't allocate new volumes it doesn't mean that all
operations on the backend are disabled.  In fact, scheduling operations
are disabled and everything else isn't.

This means that volumes can be deleted, they can be attached, snapshot
can be deleted, backups can be created...

Cheers,
Gorka.