[designate] Proposal to deprecate the agent framework and agent based backends

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Mon Apr 3 17:56:29 UTC 2023

Hey Michael,

On 03/04/2023 16:51, Michael Johnson wrote:
> We just had the virtual PTG last week and discussed this topic[1].
> [1]https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/march2023-ptg-designate

Sorry I missed that opportunity to ask / discuss there.

> As you know, we completed the specification document and merged it
> during Antelope. So the community agrees on the plan to implement. At
> this point it just needs developers to start work on the patches.
>
> During the PTG session no one attending was able to pick up this
> specification for development, so we did not highlight it as a feature
> targeted for Bobcat. I did say that I am willing to help anyone that
> has developer resources work on it, I just cannot lead that effort
> during Bobcat.
>
> So if you are willing to work on the patches, we will help out as we
> can with reviews and answering questions, etc.

I started a discussion internally about devoting some hours to at least
get this off the ground.
Does this spec need a "move" to Bobcat or other planning or acceptance
process to aim for that release instead of Antelope?

And I am in no way asking for a fast-lane or special treatment. I would
just like to be able advertise this as:
"If we write the code, someone is going to look at it and helps to get
this merged for Bobcat."

Thanks for the fruitful discussions and again for picking up on this
whole idea.

Christian