[nova][dev] image to local block device mapping not supported

Nemanja Miletic nemanja at nemanjamiletic.com
Mon Apr 3 08:44:26 UTC 2023

Hello,

Nova does not support image to local block device mapping since issue in this bug is fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1377958

In particular I am interested in scenario best described with this command:
openstack server create --flavor m1.small --network mgmt --image XXX \
--block-device uuid=YYY,source_type=image,\
destination_type=local,disk_bus=ide,device_type=cdrom,boot_index=1 testvm300

For above command nova gives error:
Block Device Mapping is Invalid: Mapping image to local is not supported.

Libvirt does not have issues with having two block devices which have file source.

My question is what am I missing here? Why Nova does not support image to local block device mapping?

Thank you for your help.
Nemanja