[tc][all][ptg] "Technical Committee + Leaders interaction" 2023.1 cycle vPTG sessions summary

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Oct 23 00:50:12 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

I am writing the Technical Committee + Leader interaction session discussion summary
that happened in the 2023.1 Antelope cycle PTG this week.

We continue the interaction session in this PTG also. The main idea here is to interact
with community leaders and ask for their feedback on TC. I am happy to see ~30
attendance and had a good amount of discussions. Below are the topics we discussed in
this feedback session.

Updates from TC:
=============

* Conveying current selected Community-wide goals.
* Avoid Bare recheck
* TC PTG slots: 15-19 UTC on Thursday and Friday
* Status on previous PTG interaction sessions' Action items/feedback:

** PTLs/Leaders to start spreading the word and monitor ignorant recheck in their weekly meeting
contacting the PTL for this.
But we still encourage PTLs/Leaders to publish the blog/video of their stories/project
updates etc at least once in a cycle. You can check the places where to publish such blogs/videos [1].

** Recognize the contribution:

** Bare Recheck:
reaching out to projects to do the same in their weekly meeting.

Feedback on TC activities or anything Community Leaders would like TC to spend more time on:

* Continue the TC weekly summary email which is helpful

* TC to build a review process that would happen periodically to check the project
status. Basically to ensure the project status as per "Emerging Technology and Inactive
projects"[2]. JayF volunteered to work on this to write some documentation or resolution.

** Action Item:
1. JayF to write a resolution on criteria/flag to identify/action on the inactive projects.

Renovate translation SIG i18:
======================

Ian and Seongsoo joined the discussion to provide the current state and help needed in i18 SIG.
We collected some information on translation usage, language, and content(GUI, doc, log etc).
Motoki updated information from the Japan group but still, needs more information from other
groups/translation users and agrees to add some queries in the 2023 user survey. Also, Brian will
investigate the possibility of migration to weblate tool.

* Action Item:
1. rosmaita: draft questions for the survey, get feedback from ian and seongsoo
2. rosmaita: follow up with weblate service to determine whether OpenStack qualifies for gratis service
3. Ian to reach out to contributors/users to know the translation requirements for applicable language.

Possibilities to avoid RC time issues with Oslo release:

After discussing the issue that occurred for Sqlalchemy 2.0 related merge in the zed cycle, we discuss
one option to propose the non-client feature freezes to m-2 and get more feedback from Oslo or other
non-client lib maintainers. Also, we encourage adding the lib forward testing which tests the integration
gate with the master version of lib which can help to find the issues while the code merges itself.

As discussed Elod proposed the review to get more feedback[3] and also email it to ML[4]. After getting
feedback from Oslo maintainer it seems it is not a good idea to preponed the lib feature freeze. Discussion
is going on in ML[4].

Clean up Zuul config errors:

At the end of the session, we discussed the current zuul config error in OpenStack projects.
TC is actively working on this and knikolla and other members trying to fix them as much as possible.
Please check your projects and fix them, priority is to fix the master and supported branches, not the
EM state branches.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/spread-the-word.html
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/emerging-technology-and-inactive-projects.html
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/861900