[telemetry][cloudkitty][ceilometer] Billing windows instances

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Oct 21 08:11:11 UTC 2022

Hi there!

We're using telemetry+cloudkitty for our rating. We're happy of it,
though we're having the issue that we would like to bill instances
running Windows.

The example given in the Cloudkitty doc shows how to bill more when an
instance runs Windows. That works in theory, though in practice,
Microsoft has a license model based on how many vCPU the instannce runs.
So the model that the Cloudkitty documentation shows simply doesn't work
with the SPLA thingy.

We've looked at options. One way would of course writing a new custom
pollster, but we don't like the idea: this would mean polling for all of
the thousands of instances that are running in our deployments. So we
would very much prefer having ceilometer running on compute node (with
polling_namespaces=compute) to do the work, as this scales a way better.

However, Ceilometer polls libvirt, which only has the information about
the image ID, not the metadata associated with the image (like the
property os_type=windows, for example).

So, is there a better way than a dynamic pollster? Can this be done with
ceilometer on the compute nodes?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)