[openstackclient] Consistency between OSC commands >>> consistency with legacy clients

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 13:43:12 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-11-24 at 09:48 +0100, Christian Rohmann wrote:
> On 23/11/2022 17:55, Michael Johnson wrote:
> > Stephen, I 100% agree. This is what has made the OpenStack client so
> > much better than the legacy clients.
>
> Yes -> this!
>
> The major part of users' bad experiences and support efforts when using
> OpenStack clouds is about clients.
> Yes, users need to understand the concepts of how the resources
> themselves work and how they can interact.
>
> But if different clients come on top or if they have different names for
> similar things and different approaches - this is just totally avoidable.
> And to me that's is what the generic openstackclient (via openstacksdk)
> is all about: Reducing complexity for humans.
>
> Quite honestly, for my liking there should even be more conventions. Why
> are there still commands that lack generic filters such
> as "--project". Why is that not something that every command has to
> support? If the backend API or the sdk cannot do it -> raise a bug.
> But I am getting of <s>course</s> topic myself ...
cross project request requrie admin prvialdges.
and osc at the very start did not want to have admin commands.
that changed as the goal of eventually replacing the project-commands for all usecase
became more important.

also api change are not bugs. they have to be take very carfully because once we commit to an api
we have to support it for a very very very long time.

addign --project to everything is not correct as not all resouce are proejct owned.
for example keyparis in nova are owned by the user not the proejct, the same is ture for secrets in barbican
flavor are not owend by any project or user.

so it woudl be incorrect for --proejct to exsit on everything.
for proejct scoped resouce like images, server, volumes it might make sense
but only if the service support domain scoped tokesn or the request is made by an admin.

out side of keystone i dont think domain scoped tokens are really a thing. most reqcust via
osc will be using a project scoped token.