Novice question

tim+openstack.org at coote.org tim+openstack.org at coote.org
Mon May 30 17:26:58 UTC 2022

Hullo again.

> On 27 May 2022, at 20:11, Michael Johnson <johnsomor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> This should work fine. You will want a localrc/local.conf file to
> configure devstack. I didn't see that mentioned in your steps.
> See this section in the docs:
> https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/#create-a-local-conf
Sorry, I missed that step in the description. local.conf is being created.

> The only caveat I would mention is the VM instances in Nova will run
> super slow on virtualbox as it lacks the required "nested
> virtualization" support and will run them all in software emulation.
I’m not worried about this atm. Once I’ve got something working, I can sort that out.

> To find the root cause of the issue in nova, I would look through the
> devstack at n-cpu log file (journal -u devstack at n-cpui) and the
> devstack at n-sch logs.
Neither of these logs contain errors. However, if I look for ‘ERROR’ in `sudo journalctl`, I do get ~400 keystone errors, where users, domains, roles and services cannot be found. I’m not sure whether this is expected or not. They occur at the beginning of the log and may be significant, or just an artefact of the `stack.sh` script. Here’s a few (filtered by `sudo journalctl |grep keyston |grep exception|grep "Could not find"|grep -v "None admin") examples:
May 30 15:57:39 node1.example.dd devstack at keystone.service[94392]: ERROR keystone.server.flask.application keystone.exception.ProjectNotFound: Could not find project: service.
May 30 15:57:41 node1.example.dd devstack at keystone.service[94392]: ERROR keystone.server.flask.application keystone.exception.ServiceNotFound: Could not find service: glance.
May 30 15:57:41 node1.example.dd devstack at keystone.service[94392]: ERROR keystone.server.flask.application keystone.exception.ServiceNotFound: Could not find service: glance.
May 30 15:57:42 node1.example.dd devstack at keystone.service[94393]: ERROR keystone.server.flask.application keystone.exception.UserNotFound: Could not find user: cinder.

Subsequently, this is what I suspect is the smoking gun, as it precedes the timeout:
May 30 16:14:45 node1.example.dd nova-compute[133470]: ERROR os_brick.initiator.connectors.iscsi Command: iscsiadm -m discoverydb -o show -P 1
May 30 16:14:45 node1.example.dd nova-compute[133470]: ERROR os_brick.initiator.connectors.iscsi Exit code: 21
May 30 16:14:45 node1.example.dd nova-compute[133470]: ERROR os_brick.initiator.connectors.iscsi Stdout: 'SENDTARGETS:\nNo targets found.\niSNS:\nNo targets found.\nSTATIC:\nNo targets found.\nFIRMWARE:\nNo targets found.\n'

I have no idea what that means. My guess is that there’s supposed to be a fake iscsi device and it’s not on a local network, but that’s really just a guess.

> Also, you might have a look at one of the nova test localrc file as an example:
> https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_dcaab5e32b234d56b626f72581e3644c/zuul_opendev_logs_da7/843127/6/check/tempest-integrated-compute-centos-9-stream/da7bebc/controller/logs/local_conf.txt

Presumably, this example would need things like the various IP addresses changing to be useful. What would one then do with it?

> Michael

Tim