[GLANCE][VICTORIA] - Multi-backend support with ceph backed swift.

Gaël THEROND gael.therond at bitswalk.com
Tue May 24 13:56:04 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I'm currently enabling glance multi backend support for one of our
platforms and we're facing a weird situation.

This platform is a CentOS 8 Stream based Openstack VICTORIA and when we
enable the multi-backends feature, the swift store isn't working properly.

When we try to send an image to this store we end up with the following
error message:
*"ERROR glance_store._drivers.swift.store - A value for
swift_store_auth_address is required."*

Here is the complete log trace:
https://paste.opendev.org/show/bGeCJjSB1C5GwD6JYFvu/

I'm a bit surprised because according to the error message and the
glance_store code it means that either my *default_swift_reference* or
*auth_address *fromthe *default_swift_reference *isn't set.

https://opendev.org/openstack/glance_store/src/branch/stable/victoria/glance_store/_drivers/swift/store.py#L1267

However as you can see on my glance-api.conf file I've (seems so) correctly
set the glance_store directive and the store settings:

glance-api.conf: https://paste.opendev.org/show/bjFAPCjlCG6MqINGsIlK/
glance-swift.conf: https://paste.opendev.org/show/bcCfBQDj32T3qgiJj3P7/

I'm only using a single tenant glance container within the admin project.
What's really weird is this issue still arise and exist with any known (to
me) combination of configuration.

I've tried to declare the store right within the glance-api.conf file, but
it's not working.
I've tried to declare the store right within the glance-api.conf file and
with the deprecated swift_store_auth_address directive instead of the
auth_address one, it's not working.
I've tried to declare the store right within the glance-api.conf file and
with the deprecated swift_store_auth_address directive plus the
auth_address one, it's not working.
I've tried to replace auth_address directive with the deprecated
swift_store_auth_address within the glance-swift.conf, same error and issue
again.

When I replace the default_backend value with performance, uploading an
image works perfectly.

I know that my swift CEPH RGW backed endpoint works as I use it already to
store data. I've even tried to push an image on it both using CLI
(openstack object) and cURL API call and it works.
I'm a bit lost here, so if anyone is having thoughts on this I would be
happy to hear you!

Thanks a lot everyone!