Creating VM directly on external network.

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue May 24 11:37:26 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-05-24 at 10:50 +0000, Russell Stather wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a charm based OpenStack setup.  The network topology is as below.
>
> Creating vms on the internal network and adding floating ips works as expected.
>
> Adding vms on directly on to the ext_net does not. openstack allows me to do it, but I get host is unreachable when trying to connect.
> Is there some configuration I have missed?

am off the top of my head have you ensured that dhcp is enabled on the external network.
floating ips are implemtend using neutron routers so you cannot used them with vms on an external network.
other then that you just need to make sure that the external network subnet is routeable on your phsyical netowrk
have you tried connecting to the vm form a vm in your openstack cloud to rule out datacenter routing issues.