OpenStack still promoting non-free platforms (was: [all][tc] Change OpenStack release naming policy proposal)

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue May 24 10:01:40 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-05-24 at 11:22 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 5/23/22 17:45, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> > Yeah, these are more interactive meetings than presentation style. If anyone attending the
> > the meeting I expect they will participate in the discussion sometimes or at least can/should
> > be able to make comments when things are related to their projects/area or so.
> >
> > -gmann
>
> In a meeting with 30 participants or more, it is impossible that
> everyone talks. More over, at least one of them will have his/her mic on
> with some disturbing noise (and this is platform agnostic...).
that has not been my experince.
for ptgs and other video confernce we can have 30+
and still discuss things. general most people will have there mic muted for
alot of the call and only interject if they feel they can add to the converstion
or its a topic of interest.

> In such a setup, asking questions on the chat (for example, on IRC) is a
> way more efficient, and usually enough. If not enough, you can always
> ask the person to join the meeting, if more interactive (unexpected)
> discussion is needed. Though it'd be surprising if this happens often.
there is really not advantage to having a video call if the majority of the interaction
is done over irc or chat. we use video calls to enable higher bandwith comunication then
irc and generally try to aovid using video calls as a comunity with a prefernce for irc
meeting due to the better logging that enables.

so the primary reason for video mettings is to enable multiple people discuss topics rapitly
with the visiual queue of if someone want to interject ectra that a void only call would not facilate.
so i would think that unless you expect a lot of interaction you should not be using a video call
and shoudl be using our default of irc.

the other option we could look into perhaps is using matix.
it has video capablities and text but i have not personally used that facilaty yet.
you can also join via the web with 0 install using say element.io and there are native
applicaiton on many operating systmes inclouding ios/andriod.

if we were to look at using something other then jitsi then haveing an openstack home server
or using rooms on the matrix.org home server may be something we should look into.