[neutron][neutron-vpnaas] neutron-tempest-plugin coverage

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Mon May 23 21:42:29 UTC 2022

Hiya,

As part of cleaning up VPNaaS, I decided to explore fixing the
longstanding failures of the
`neutron-tempest-plugin-vpnaas-libreswan-centos` job that was always
failing and non-voting.

Upon trying to flip the switch on it in a test change[1], I noticed
that much of the test results seem to be simply exercising the API[2],
essentially making the fact that we run that job on CentOS a bit
redundant.

The tests that actually exercise more than the API and validate
connectivity are the functional tests, which currently run for
"StrongSwan" only on Ubuntu.  My question to the Neutron team is:

1. Should we get rid of the functional jobs and move them into
neutron-tempest-plugin, and run that for different platforms?
2. Should we get rid of the neutron-tempest-plugin job under CentOS
and add functional jobs for CentOS?

My inclination seems to be #2, since that is what other stadium
projects seem to be doing (no one seems to run platform-specific
neutron-tempest-plugin jobs). It also keeps maintainability simpler
since it remains in the hands of the VPNaaS team.

Thanks
Mohammed

[1]: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-vpnaas/+/843005
[2]: https://storage.bhs.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_dcaab5e32b234d56b626f72581e3644c/zuul_opendev_logs_cd1/843005/2/check/neutron-tempest-plugin-vpnaas-libreswan-centos/cd1ac04/testr_results.html