[stable][glance] backport exception request for external HTTP API response code change

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:43:57 UTC 2022

Hello stable maintenance core team,

We recently noticed that an Image API call implemented in Yoga, which
returns no content, is returning a 200 instead of a 202 (as the design
[0] had specified).  We would like to correct this in master (Zed
development) and in the stable/yoga branch.  Here are our reasons why we
think this is a legitimate exception to the no-http-api-changes-backport
policy:

(1) Even ignoring the lack of a response body, a 200 (OK) is misleading
because operation initiated by the PUT /v2/cache/{image_id} request may
not succeed.  A 202 (Accepted) signals more clearly to the operator that
some followup is necessary to be sure the image has been cached.

(2) This is intended as an admin-only API call; the default policy is
admin-only.  So it has not been exposed to end-users.

(3) The change [1] was first released in Yoga and there has not been
much time for admins to begin consuming this feature.  Further, there
has not yet been a release from stable/yoga after glance 24.0.0.

For these reasons, we request that the glance team be allowed to make
this change.

Thank you for considering this proposal!

[0]
https://opendev.org/openstack/glance-specs/blame/commit/2638ada23d92f714f54b71db00330e4a6c921beb/specs/xena/approved/glance/cache-api.rst#L153
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/glance/+/792022