[ironic] [requirements] broken libvirt-python on yoga on stream 9

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue May 17 19:32:02 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-05-17 at 20:18 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> In Nova and Masakari (and Kolla for that matter), the relied upon is
> the packaged version. Using libvirt from PyPI is simply too much PITA
> to care about.

we do not depend on libvirt-python in our unti or funtional tests as by design unit and fucnitonal
tests should mock external depencices like that.
we have libvirt fixutres we use when we need to fake interactions with libvirt.

so libvirt-python is very deliberatly not part of nova's requirement.txt or test-requirement.txt
its a runtime dep that can be provieed by pypi or the disto but its not managed by upper constraits
since its not installed via pypi in our any our tox environments.

devstack has the lovely hack
https://github.com/openstack/devstack/blob/3155217fb6a14b9c7d9c9a6f1bf11e9580c949c5/lib/nova_plugins/functions-libvirt#L59-L69=
which remvoes libvirt from uc
but its actully installed form the disto pacages in our devstack envionments
https://github.com/openstack/devstack/blob/3155217fb6a14b9c7d9c9a6f1bf11e9580c949c5/lib/nova_plugins/functions-libvirt#L71-L95=

it proably should be in our bindep.txt https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/bindep.txt
or incldued in extras like the other virt dirver libs
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/setup.cfg#L28=

but as i said we make sure its not a depency for our tox jobs and its installed by devstack from the disto repos
for our integration testing jobs.