[all][tc] Release cadence terminology (Was: Change OpenStack release naming...)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sat May 14 01:47:14 UTC 2022

 ---- On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:46:51 -0500 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
 > On 2022-04-29 17:43:25 +0200 (+0200), Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
 > [...]
 > > Also suggestion: drop tick/tock from naming documentation please.
 > > I never remember which is major and which is minor.
 >
 > This is a good point. From an internationalization perspective, the
 > choice of wording could be especially confusing as it's an analogy
 > for English onomatopoeia related to mechanical clocks. I doubt it
 > would translate well (if at all).
 >
 > In retrospect, adjusting the terminology to make 2023.1 the
 > "primary" release of 2023, with 2023.2 as the "secondary" release of
 > that year, makes it a bit more clear as to their relationship to one
 > another. We can say that consumers are able to upgrade directly from
 > one primary release to another, skipping secondary releases.

With the outcome of the legal check, it is not clear to us that tick-tock words
are ok to use for the new release cadence terminology and in what form/combination.

In TC, we decided to use a different name and 'SLURP' (Skip Level Upgrade Release Process)
is the choice of the majority [1].

I have pushed the patch to reflect the same in the TC resolution

- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/840354

[1] https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2022/tc.2022-05-12-15.00.log.html#l-191

-gmann