[neutron] Static route not added in namespace using DVR on Wallaby

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Sat May 7 01:20:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:23 AM J-P Methot <jp.methot at planethoster.info>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're in this situation where we are going to move some instances from one
> openstack cluster to another. After this process, we want our instances on
> the new openstack cluster to keep the same floating IPs but also to be able
> to communicate with some instances that are in the same public IP range on
> the first cluster.
>
> To accomplish this, we want to add static routes like 'X.X.X.X/32 via
> Y.Y.Y.Y'. However, we're using DVR and when we add the static routes, they
> do not show up anywhere in any of the namespaces. Is there a different way
> to add static routes on DVR instead of using openstack router add route ?
>
> --
> Jean-Philippe Méthot
> Senior Openstack system administrator
> Administrateur système Openstack sénior
> PlanetHoster inc.
>
> I don’t think that there is an automatic way to do what you are trying to
do using static routes.

One way to approach this would be to use dynamic routing to advertise the
availability of the /32 route.

I just described an approach to this using BGP in another thread on this
list with the subject “[ops][octavia][neutron] Distributed Virtual Routing:
Floating IPs attached to virtual IP addresses are assigned on network
nodes”.

There are several BGP implementations which support this functionality, I
believe Neutron Dynamic Routing for OVS works for Wallaby, Juniper Contrail
(and probably the Open Source version Tungsten Fabric), and others. The
implementation I describe is for OVN, but the same approach could be
adapted to other Neutron drivers.

-Dan Sneddon
--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal Software Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/cloud