[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary May 6th, 22: Reading: 5 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri May 6 18:44:16 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* We had this week's meeting on May 5. Most of the meeting discussions are
summarized in this email. Meeting summary logs are available
@https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2022/tc.2022-05-05-15.00.log.html

As it was a video call, the full recording is here
 @https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdoWcBiMuY&t=205s

* Next TC weekly meeting will be on May 12 Thursday at 15:00 UTC, feel free to
add the topic on the agenda[1] by May 11.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* Add the cinder-three-par charm to Openstack charms[2]
* Update milestones for FIPS goal[3]
* Add gmann to oslo tact-sig liaison[4]

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Zed cycle
------------------------------
* Zed tracker etherpad includes the TC working items[5], we have started
the many items.

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Nine open reviews for ongoing activities[6].

CFN overview from Jie Niu, China Mobile Research Institute
As you might have seen CFN proposal on ML[7], China Mobile team(Yu and Jie)
joined the TC meeting and presented the CFN idea, architecture, and roadmap in
detail. We had a few question-answer at the end. As the discussion is going on
between China Mobile team and the Foundation, TC did not take any decision
on being CFN as SIG in OpenStack or not. We are open to ideas coming from the
discussion with Foundation.

'tick' 'tock' release cadence open items
We are discussing two things here:
1. release notes strategy:
This is not concluded yet but the discussion point is how we should make tock
release notes noticeable in the next tick release for operators upgrading to tick-tick release?
Whether we should copy the key deprecated/upgrade release notes or use like or
mention about reading the previous tock release notes if you upgrading from tick->tick?
We will continue the discussion in next meeting and conclude.

2. tick tock name using as per legal check
>From foundation legal checks, it seems it is not so clear how we should use
tick or tock or better we should not use these names, discussion is on gerrit[8].
We discussed a few ideas about using SLU|SLURP (Skip level upgrade release process)
but it is not agreed upon by all the TC members.
We are stuck with the same "horror naming" show in this too as we are in release naming.
We are open to ideas and if you have any better ideas, feel free to add them in Gerrit review[8]

Improve project governance
---------------------------------
As discussed in PTG (yoga and zed) we are going to try a new framework
"Technical-preview" to catch the inactive project or new project moving towards
the OpenStack way. Slawek has the proposal up and ready for review[9].

Change OpenStack release naming policy proposal
No concrete update on this than what we are discussing on ML[10] and Gerrit[11].

Migration from old ELK service to new Dashboard
The new dashboard[12] is ready to use, we encourage community members to use it and provide
feedback if any. We discussed the e-r service and repo maintenance. Ananya from tripleO
team joined the meeting and they are ok to merge the rdo branch with master. Once that is done
we will figure out where we can host this service, Dainel has some ideas about it and will continue
the discussion in the TC channel or meeting.

Consistent and Secure Default RBAC
We had our weekly call on Tuesday 3rd May and discussed the need for 'service' role. There are
points that we should not make 'service' role as a light admin but at the same time, it is needed for
the inter-service communication. Discussion still going on and we will continue it next Tuesday's
call along with heat discussion. Notes are in etherpad[13] and the next meeting details are in
wiki page [14],

FIPs community-wide goal
-------------------------------
Ade proposal of the updated milestone has been merged and goal selection proposal is up[15].

2021 User Survey TC Question Analysis
No update on this. The survey summary is up for review[16]. Feel free to check and
provide feedback.

Zed cycle Leaderless projects
----------------------------------
No updates on this. Only Adjutant project is leaderless/maintainer-less. We will check Adjutant's
the situation again on ML and hope Braden will be ready with their company side permission[17].

Fixing Zuul config error
----------------------------
Requesting projects with zuul config error to look into those and fix them which should
not take much time[18].

Project updates
-------------------
* None

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[19].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [20]
3. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/837781
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/838601
[4] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/840351