Retiring and shutting down the ethercalc.openstack.org service

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed May 4 17:15:49 UTC 2022

Hello,

The https://ethercalc.openstack.org service has become problematic for several reasons:

  * Our configuration management for the service is still based on Puppet and needs to be modernized to continue running the service.
  * The service itself isn't well maintained. Its build system is apparently broken [0].
  * The service does not capture a history of changes like etherpad, confusing users.
  * The service crashes semi frequently.

The major known user of this service was the PTG planning process. We've talked to the folks that help organize and plan the PTG, and they think other tools (like PTGBot) can be used instead without major trouble. Considering all of this, the OpenDev team would like to retire and shutdown this service.

The current plan is to keep the service up and running until the end of the month. Then on May 31, 2022 shut down the server hosting the service, snapshot this server, and finally delete it. Please back up any data you would like to preserve before May 31, 2022.

[0] https://github.com/audreyt/ethercalc/pull/781

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to respond to this thread or reach out to the OpenDev team.

Clark