[OpenInfra Foundation] [all][tc] Change OpenStack release naming policy proposal

Belmiro Moreira moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:00:29 UTC 2022

Hi,
I replied in the patch, but I also would like to express my opinion in this
thread.

Release names can be problematic as described in this proposal.
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/839897

However, I still think that the release name is important for the
community.
It’s part of the OpenStack culture! Is something that we have since the
release “A” for “Austin”.
I never saw anyone mentioning that they are still running Nova with the
release “2011.3” and need to upgrade.
Instead the community mentions the release name, “Diablo” (for example...)

Having said that, I also believe it’s important to have a clear release
identification schema without
the ambiguity of the alphabet iteration.

In my opinion both should coexist.

Belmiro