[heat][rbac] Management of "system resources" with SRBAC enforced

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Mar 10 01:13:42 UTC 2022

 ---- On Wed, 09 Mar 2022 17:14:02 -0600 Takashi Kajinami <tkajinam at redhat.com> wrote ----

> [...]
 >  > > - requires work in multiple components.
 >  > > - We need to determine the project scope role to be allowed to do system operation
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Indeed current stack operation require `(role:admin and system_scope:all) OR (role:member and project_id:%(project_id)s)`.And if we remove the system part and keep `(role:member and project_id:%(project_id)s)`, will mean only a user in that project with a member role can operate stack, and if the user got also admin role, that user can manage User/Flavor resources through stack too.The main problem here is that nova will no longer allow project admins to create flavors,and it will require system admin when SRBAC is enforced(which means all deprecated rulesare disabled)
 >  >
 >  > Also, note thatFor the case of Nova::Flavor, both policies from Nova and Heat resource will be enforced here, so it only accepts the intersection part of rules.
 >  > So if we go with removing the system admin, that means it's time to also remove some deprecated global scope operation.
 >  > IMO, to accept Project Admin or member make more reasonable (like you proposed in option 3)
 >
 > This is a similar case that we discussed in the service role ML thread[1] or in the spec[2].
 >
 > For such cases only, where services need to interact with another service we will have the 'service' as
 > a special role. In this case, the heat having the project scoped token will use the 'service' role token for
 > Nova Flavor APIs calls.  Now whether that 'service' role token needs to be system scoped or not is
 > open question Mark brought up in that discussion. IMO, we should use the scoped token even in case
 > of 'service' role and do not skip scope checks for 'service' role in oslo policy as it can be a valid role used
 > by any users at production. So with the new SRBAC, heat needs to use the system scoped 'service' role token.
 >
 > But as 'service' role is not yet implemented by keystone[2], we can use the legacy admin token which is currently
 > used in heat or other service-to-service interaction.
 >
 > Thanks gmann for inputs.
 > HoweverI think we still need a different role here.
 > The role I've mentioned here is not the role assigned to the Heat service user but the project-roleassigned to users to allow them create stacks with system resources like nova flavor or keystone user.This role is assigned to actual cloud users so service would not be appropriate.
 >
 > I thought of using the admin role initially but this means that we provide a way to "bypass" policy checkand expose system operations to project users.
 >
 > As a side note, current heat does not use its own credential but user credentials used for stack API calls.
 > We can introduce this mechanism and let heat manage system resources by its service user but that isthe completely new feature we need to implement.

Thanks for the detailed information. For service to service interaction, I think heat needs to start using the configured
service user token instead of using actual user token.

For example nova use for neutron and similarly for other service interaction
- https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/654ccb626d0e41a69308db1ed3328824/log/controller/logs/etc/nova/nova_conf.txt#40-51

-gmann