IPv6 deployment on OpenStack

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 08:12:27 UTC 2022

Hi,

On poniedziałek, 7 marca 2022 02:36:24 CET Marc-Antoine Godde wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We are progressively adding support for IPv6 in my company. We decided to use SLAAC only for laptops, phones, … since DHCPv6 isn’t supported on Android. RDNSS support will also increase. We are now planning our deployment on OpenStack. We already know that we'll rely only on neutron but we are not yet fixed between DHCPv6 and SLAAC ? Do you have any arguments for one these for VMs ?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc-Antoine.

With SLAAC You need to have Your network connected to the router in Neutron and You can only configure IP address on the VM. With DHCPv6 You can configure other things, like some static-routes, etc.
Neutron supports DHCPv6 in the stateful and stateless variants. With stateless, You are using RA for address configuration and DHCP server for other configation. Please see [1] for more details.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/admin/config-ipv6.html#address-modes-for-ports

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer