[nova][neutron] os-vif params

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 17:37:05 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-03-04 at 17:07 +0000, Arnaud Morin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> When I take a look at [1], I can see some parameters, such as
> network_device_mtu, isolate_vif, etc.
>
> As far as I can tell, nova is using these params when plugging the port
> in OVS (if using OVS as ml2 plugin of course).
>
> But I cannot find the config params in the documentation: [2]
>
> Am I missing something?

no we dont currently generate that documenation currntly
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html should list it but we have not added
the appropriate namespaces to the list of namespaces for nova to generate.

to use these option today you create a [os_vif_ovs] section in your nova.conf
we do that in devstack today
https://github.com/openstack/devstack/blob/master/lib/os-vif

so if you look at the nova-cpu.conf form one of our jobs you can see it set to false in this case since we are using ovn
https://zuul.openstack.org/build/7ea68106815e492a8de73c28afffaa0a/log/controller/logs/etc/nova/nova-cpu_conf.txt#134-137

network_device_mtu is not used anymore that was for nova network and should be delete in the future.

ovsdb_connection = tcp:[::1]:6640
isolate_vif = False
ovsdb_interface = vsctl

are all valid to configure still.

i think we just need to add os-vif here
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/a74bced0eb3232c0c3384e26db1838bbc26c2d82/doc/source/conf.py#L179-L197
although i coudl be wrong.
i know there is something we need to tweek to include options form opther project likel the messaging option in the config ref
the os-vif docs are located here but we do not generate a sperate config ref
https://docs.openstack.org/os-vif/xena/index.html