[all][foundation][ecosystem] External projects under the foundation hat

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Jun 24 20:43:41 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022, at 1:36 PM, Artem Goncharov wrote:

>> Also, adding a new project like gophercloud won't automatically add contributors to openstack. Contributors to gophercloud will continue to be contributors to gophercloud. In fact you point out above it is unlikely they will contribute to other projects. For this reason I think it is also worthwhile to think about what benefits of such a change exist. Does openstack benefit in any way by adding gophercloud to openstack but not changing anything about their contribution methods? Does gophercloud benefit in any way? To me this is essentially the status quo only with new additional governance overhead.
>

> Ugh, if gophercloud is not helping OpenStack we can forget about
> letting users run k8 on Openstack, Openshift on OpenStack, we can say
> Ansible and OSC are not helping OpenStack, because this is the same
> vector of tooling: it's not OpenStack services, but ecosystem around
> OpenStack. We even had a keynote on that during summit.
>
> There are users ready to submit small fixes to the tooling they use
> daily. But nobody of them is willing to go through our current
> contribution requirements, they just abandon this and stay
> dissatisfied. Users are not even able to do easy bug reporting since
> also for that they need to learn new and very uncomfortable tools. This
> is not user friendly from my pov.

The point I was trying to make was more that nothing stops that contribution from happening today on Github if that is where those individuals prefer to be. What changes if the repo moves under the Github openstack organization and we formally add the project to openstack governance? There are some changes for sure, but most aren't going to be visible/important to those individuals.

I'm trying to get us to be explicit about the benefits and cross check them against our goals. I'm not necessarily saying it is a bad idea. It may be that those people want to vote in TC elections and have a greater say in the direction of openstack as a whole. If that is the case let's say that and make sure that benefits like that align with any goals of such a move.

I'm not saying that contributions like that don't benefit the ecosystem. I'm specifically trying to understand what benefits to this specific change there are to both parties. It isn't clear to me if part of the move is explicitly ignoring the way openstack has chosen to do things.