[all][foundation][ecosystem] External projects under the foundation hat

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:36:11 UTC 2022

> Also, adding a new project like gophercloud won't automatically add
> contributors to openstack. Contributors to gophercloud will continue to be
> contributors to gophercloud. In fact you point out above it is unlikely
> they will contribute to other projects. For this reason I think it is also
> worthwhile to think about what benefits of such a change exist. Does
> openstack benefit in any way by adding gophercloud to openstack but not
> changing anything about their contribution methods? Does gophercloud
> benefit in any way? To me this is essentially the status quo only with new
> additional governance overhead.

Ugh, if gophercloud is not helping OpenStack we can forget about letting
users run k8 on Openstack, Openshift on OpenStack, we can say Ansible and
OSC are not helping OpenStack, because this is the same vector of tooling:
it's not OpenStack services, but ecosystem around OpenStack. We even had a
keynote on that during summit.

There are users ready to submit small fixes to the tooling they use daily.
But nobody of them is willing to go through our current contribution
requirements, they just abandon this and stay dissatisfied. Users are not
even able to do easy bug reporting since also for that they need to learn
new and very uncomfortable tools. This is not user friendly from my pov.