[Swift] [kolla] Swift issues in one cluster

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:54:36 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Albert Braden <ozzzo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Having another look at that issue, it sounds like slow client shouldn't be handled by OpenStack services but rather with a load balancer, especially if the service is Internet facing"
>
> I don't understand what is being recommended here.

I think they were suggesting using a http proxy application - maybe
haproxy - will have more options to protect network resources from
misbehaving clients than the swift proxy application.  Like kicking
off keep-alive connections after a while, or slow clients that hang up
resources.

> We have 60 Swift servers, and customer traffic goes directly to those servers. It seems like a load-balancer would be a performance-reducing bottleneck.

That's cool, do you use round robin dns or something?

> Is there any hope of getting this bug fixed?

If we can reproduce the problem you're seeing there's some chance we
could offer a solution through just a code change, but it's going to
be difficult if repro requires haproxy in the pipeline.  If there is a
problem w/o haproxy, it might have more to do with eventlet.wsgi or
python's base http server than swift... can you affirm the issue when
clients talk directly to the python/eventlet/swift application?

--
Clay Gerrard