Few Open Questions: Openstack vs Proprietary cloud stacks

Allison Price allison at openinfra.dev
Wed Jun 22 08:46:27 UTC 2022

> On Jun 22, 2022, at 7:18 AM, KK CHN <kkchn.in at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 5:36 PM Allison Price <allison at openinfra.dev <mailto:allison at openinfra.dev>> wrote:
> Hi Krish,
>
> I can answer a few of your questions in line.
>
>> On Jun 21, 2022, at 8:59 AM, KK CHN <kkchn.in at gmail.com <mailto:kkchn.in at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> List,
>>
>> Very recently  I came across a discussion with a banking corporation who are  heavy users of VMware in all their Data Centre operations ..
>>
>> They asked me a  lot of questions in comparison with openstack vs other proprietary vendors (such as  VMware.   ).
>>

>> As I am promoting OpenStack  I need to clarify these questions raised by the organization.
>>
>> I request your inputs for these queries .
>>
>> 1. Does OpenStack  support Hyper Converged Infrastructure ?
>> Or any HCI vendors already  with OpenStack solutions? Please share the URL/link of case studies of OpenStack HCI.
>> Any documentation/Reference  to install openstack as HCI solution  with supported H/W OEM details . I can try out ...
>>
>> 2. Is there any performance benchmark for openstack to compare with other such cloud stacks  ( URL/reference links kindly share )
>>
>> 3. What is the market share of OpenStack all over the world ? ( If any statistics kindly share.)
>> Any survey reports available how many large and medium organizations are using Openstack distributions for  private/public cloud use in production ?
>
> There is not an exact report that shows OpenStack market share, but there are a lot of statistics about the growing footprint of OpenStack-powered clouds that we collect from the OpenStack user survey (openstack.org/user-survey <http://openstack.org/user-survey>).
>
> - There are currently over 25 million compute cores of OpenStack in production
> - There are over 180 public cloud data centers running OpenStack
> - The market for OpenStack is over $7.7 billion USD (source: 451 Research, Market Monitor, Open Source Software, OpenStack 2019)
>
> We are planning to publish a new report later this year highlighting the current landscape of OpenStack adoption. Since the survey is opt-in, it is not comprehensive of all OpenStack use cases, but it gives a pretty good picture of the evolution and maturity of deployments.
>
> I suggest if possible while publishing this new report, it will be better if we can publish also in Gartner, Forrester etc., if this makes sense.

We often brief analysts after the survey comes out, but given that they have their own research arms, it’s often not published there and doing a survey / report through them is very costly.

> I heard about CERN  one among the biggest Openstack deployments in the private cloud domain.

Yes, CERN is one of the largest OpenStack deployments (I think around 380,000 cores). We also have a few users who have over a million cores in production including Walmart, Workday, LINE, China Mobile, and Yahoo (4 million to be exact). Other large scale users include OVH, Bloomberg, Kakao, and T-Systems (among many more).