[rbac][nova][cinder] Canned roles for service users / inter-service communication (e.g. event submission)

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 11:28:54 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-06-09 at 11:11 +0200, Christian Rohmann wrote:
> Hey openstack-discuss,
>
> I posted to the ML quite a while ago about an issue of resized (Cinder)
> volumes not being propagated to the (Nova) instance.
> See
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2021-February/020476.html.
>
> The issue there was Cinder being not allowed to send the
> "volume-extended" event (or any event for that matter via the Nova API
> just using the user token.
> For this a configurable additional "privileged user" was added to the
> config quite a while back with
> https://opendev.org/openstack/cinder/commit/04003d7c513ed4dd5129cbd5ad1af14a5b200677.
>
> While the functionality then works I suppose there should be canned and
> maintained RBAC roles for such kind of inter service to service
> communications, e.g. to emit events to others. Otherwise deployments
> likely will use admin privileged users ignoring the least privilege
> principle and creating an large attack surface.
>
> And there are quite few of those relations even with the most commonly
> used services.
> Cinder -> nova, nova-> cincer, nova->ironic, .... nova-> neutron, ....
>
> Are such canned RBAC rules for "special" inter service users on the
> backlog somewhere? Or am I totally misconceiving the issue here?
yes its called the service role
its been discussed many times over the laste 3-4 virutal ptgs.
its part of phase 2 https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/consistent-and-secure-rbac.html#phase-2
"""Isolate service-to-service APIs to the service role"""
so the target is to start implementing the service role in AA and compelte it in all service by BB
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/consistent-and-secure-rbac.html#aa-release-timeline