[kolla-ansible][xena] Cell database HA/redundancy?

Norrie, Andrew Andrew.Norrie at cgg.com
Fri Jun 3 12:53:13 UTC 2022

Hi,

We are currently planning some large OpenStack deployments utilizing kolla-ansible and
I'm curious what folks are doing with the cell database HA/redundancy.

With kolla-ansible (xena) it appears that a loadbalancer setup is only allowed for the
default database shard (shard 0)... reference: https://docs.openstack.org/kolla-ansible/latest/reference/databases/mariadb-guide.html

If we are setting up separate cell database shards with Galera, I'm wondering if there is a convenient work-around or configuration for implementation of HA for these cell databases.

In the inventory group_vars directory you can specify the group variables (for each cell database) as:

nova_cell_database_address:
nova_cell_database_group:

but these aren't virtual IP hosts/addresses (non default db shard). This works perfectly fine with
a single server cell database but not Galera. If that db server goes down the cell instance information is lost.

Many thanks ... Andrew
"This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the email by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not review, disclose, copy, distribute or use this e-mail; please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately."