[vdi][daas][ops] What are your solutions to VDI/DaaS on OpenStack?

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:53:14 UTC 2022

Hello Fellow OpenStackers,

I am wondering if and how OpenStackers are approaching the subject of
VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure), also nowadays commonly called
DaaS (Desktop as a Service) offering.
To be more specific, I am looking forward to a solution covering both
Linux and Windows desktops, pre-OS screen access optional,
well-integrated (i.e., having automation) with OpenStack Nova,
preferably also with Cinder and Glance, optionally with Keystone
(apart from self-auth of course!) and Heat, 3D acceleration optional
(most of the desktops here don't need it), nice to have read-only
sharing of screen.

A search brought me to vdi-broker [1] [2] with Guacamole. [3]
But the vdi-broker seems dead with no documentation whatsoever.
I know Guacamole but normally it offers only static definition of
connections to existing machines (VNC or RDP).

Looking forward to hearing (reading :D ) your experience with VDI/DaaS
on an OpenStack cloud offering.

I am also open to collaboration should any of you share the same
interest. We can have a relevant SIG created if that is the case.

PS: Sadly, I am not able to attend the Berlin summit due to other
commitments, so can't ask in person. ;-(

[1] https://github.com/cloudbase/vdi-broker
[2] https://www.openstack.org/videos/boston-2017/virtual-desktop-infrastructure-vdi-with-openstack
[3] https://guacamole.apache.org/

Kind regards,