[infra] Issue with the new pip

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Jan 30 23:20:10 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-30 19:07:45 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2022-01-30 20:01:27 +0100 (+0100), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> > It seems that the new pip is breaking on infra's package indices.
> [...]
>
> Yes, that's due to the pip 22.0 release earlier today. The main
> issue we're dealing with is https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/10825
> and have some changes up (one of which has already merged) under
> topic:pip-22 to hopefully address it. Unfortunately change 826969
> isn't going to take effect until the wheel cache indices are
> regenerated by the openstack/requirements periodic pipeline jobs.

We've merged a couple of changes now to fix up our wheel cache
indices to be tolerable to pip 22.0's new HTML5 parser, performing
some manual deployment steps to speed things along so we wouldn't
need to wait for periodic job runs tomorrow, and so any failures
related to that (with tracebacks from pip complaining about a
missing DOCTYPE declaration) can be safely rechecked. Also pip
22.0.2 was released mere moments ago adding a fallback to the old
HTML parser if the new one encounters errors.

Be forewarned, this may only be the tip of the iceberg. For example
I've already had to fix some of OpenDev's service tests which ran on
Python 3.6 (because it's the default python3 for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
to use a version-specific get-pip.py URL, because pip 22.0 also
dropped support for Python 3.6.
--
Jeremy Stanley