[ironic] [release] RFC: stop doing bugfix branches for Bifrost?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 19:10:12 UTC 2022

Hi team!

Some time ago we introduced bugfix/X.Y branches [1] to some of the Ironic
projects. This has worked pretty well and has been very helpful in
ironic/inspector/IPA, but I have second thoughts about Bifrost.

First, maintaining Bifrost branches is tedious enough because of how many
distros we support and how quickly they change.

Second, our recommended approach to using Bifrost is to git-clone master
and work from it. I'm honestly unsure if the regular stable branches are
used (outside of the Kolla CI), let alone bugfix branches. (I also doubt
that Bifrost releases are very popular or even meaningful, but that's
another topic.)

As one of few people who is maintaining bugfix branches, I suggest we stop
making them for Bifrost and switch Bifrost back to normal
cycle-with-intermediaries. We can keep releasing 3x per cycle, just to have
checkpoints, but only create "normal" stable branches.

Thoughts?

Dmitry

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/approved/new-release-model.html

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael