Tesla V100 32G GPU with openstack

Gustavo Faganello Santos gustavofaganello.santos at windriver.com
Mon Jan 17 19:07:34 UTC 2022

Hello, Satish.

I've been working with vGPU lately and I believe I can answer your
questions:

1. As you pointed out in question #2, the pci-passthrough will allocate
the entire physical GPU to one single guest VM, while vGPU allows you to
spawn from 1 to several VMs using the same physical GPU, depending on
the vGPU type you choose (check NVIDIA docs to see which vGPU types the
Tesla V100 supports and their properties);
2. Correct;
3. To use vGPU, you need vGPU drivers installed on the platform where
your deployment of OpenStack is running AND in the VMs, so there are two
drivers to be installed in order to use the feature. I believe both of
them have to be purchased from NVIDIA in order to be used, and you would
also have to deploy an NVIDIA licensing server in order to validate the
licenses of the drivers running in the VMs.
4. You can see what the instructions are for each of these scenarios in
[1] and [2].

There is also extensive documentation on vGPU at NVIDIA's website [3].

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/wallaby/admin/virtual-gpu.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/wallaby/admin/pci-passthrough.html
[3] https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/13.0/index.html

Regards,