[cloudkitty][kolla][monasca][neutron][oslo][security-sig] Log4j vulnerabilities and OpenStack

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Thu Jan 13 21:17:43 UTC 2022

Thank you Jeremy for putting all this information together. Some
important comments inline.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 19:49, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> Thanks to the excellent feedback from Radosław Piliszek and Pierre
> Riteau, the list of things for operators to look out for has grown a
> bit. Is anyone else aware of other, similar situations where
> OpenStack is commonly installed alongside Java software using Log4j
> in vulnerable ways? I think this list is becoming extensive enough
> we could consider publishing it in a security note (OSSN)...
>
> Kolla-Ansible Central Logging
> -----------------------------
>
> If you're deploying with Kolla-Ansible and have enabled central
> logging, then it's installing a copy of Elasticsearch (7.13.4
> currently, which includes Log4j 2.11.1). According to a statement
> from Elastic's developers, the relevant risks can be mitigated by
> passing "-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true" on the JVM's command
> line. All images built after December 21, 2021 have this workaround
> applied, with the exception of images for Train which did not get
> that patch merged until January 7, 2021. The statement from Elastic
> about the workaround can be found here:
> https://xeraa.net/blog/2021_mitigate-log4j2-log4shell-elasticsearch/

This part has several issues:

- Xena and Wallaby use Elasticsearch OSS 7.x, the latest available
package being version 7.10.2 from January 2021, which includes Log4j
2.11.1. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will ever be updated, so
we only have the formatMsgNoLookups to help. The Kolla community is
planning to move to OpenSearch as a replacement for Elasticsearch.
- Victoria and earlier releases use Elasticsearch OSS 6.x which still
gets updated packages. Latest Kolla images for these releases use
version 6.8.22, which includes Log4j 2.17.0. I see that Elasticsearch
6.8.23 was released today, which includes Log4j 2.17.1. This should
get picked up by Kolla image builds in the coming days.
- The formatMsgNoLookups mitigation is applied through Kolla Ansible
and doesn't depend on when Kolla images were built. The dates you
mentioned above are when the commits merged in Kolla Ansible.

> CloudKitty, Monasca, and OSProfiler
> -----------------------------------
>
> If you're deploying CloudKitty, Monasca, or OSProfiler, you may be
> using Elasticsearch as a storage back-end for these services. Make
> sure you update it or put a suitable mitigation in place. Anyone
> deploying one or more of these services with Kolla-Ansible is
> running Elasticsearch, but should be covered so long as they update
> to the latest available images for their release series, as noted
> above.

As noted in the previous comment, for Xena and Wallaby we don't have a
fix using new images, only the mitigation applied through Kolla
Ansible is available.

Additional Monasca components that include Log4j:

- Logstash: similar vulnerability pattern to Elasticsearch, i.e. no
RCE out of the box
- Kafka: uses an older Log4j 1.x which is only vulnerable to
CVE-2021-4104 if configured to use JMSAppender (not the default),
according to https://kafka.apache.org/cve-list
- Zookeeper: uses Log4j 1.x, not affected by CVE-2021-44228 according
to https://blogs.apache.org/security/entry/cve-2021-44228, not sure
about the others
- Storm: possibly vulnerable? Pull requests in github.com/apache/storm
have bumped Log4j versions, but no new release has been issued yet.
Kolla uses version 1.2.2. I am looking at adding a mitigation for
CVE-2021-45046 based on removing the JndiLookup class from the
classpath.