[ops][nova] How to update from N to N+3 (and manage nova services that don't start because they find too old compute nodes...)

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Jan 10 18:50:49 UTC 2022

> Good to know that it is not necessary for nova to go through ALL
> intermediate releases and perform db-sync The question is if this is
> true for ALL openstack services (in our deployment the controller node
> is used for all services and not only for nova)

Actually, Sean is wrong here - we do expect you to go through each
release on the controller, it's just that it's rare that it's actually a
problem. We have had blocker migrations at times in the past where we
have had to ensure that data is migrated before changing or dropping
items of schema. We also recently did a schema compaction, which
wouldn't tolerate moving across the releases without the (correct)
intermediate step.

We definitely should fix the problem related to compute records being
old and causing the controllers to start. However, at the moment, you
should still assume that each intermediate release needs to be db-sync'd
unless you've tested that a particular source and target release
works. I expect the same requirement for most other projects.

--Dan