[all] [requirements] Artificially inflated requirements in os-brick

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 17:33:18 UTC 2022

On 2/18/22 11:42 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been quite surprised to see $topic. Most requirements for os-brick
> are now to be found in Yoga only. I've asked why, and I've been told
> that the reason is because "we've been testing with the new versions
> only for the number of months".
>
> Well, the reason why someone would increase a minimum requirement *must*
> be only because of the need of a new feature, and should be treated with
> care. Otherwise, this makes upgrading very dangerous and annoying to do.
> As much as possible, I would strongly recommend that any dependency in
> Stable can be found in Stable-1 (only when a new feature is mandatory,
> then it's ok-ish to require that new version, though I would advocate
> for a possible fallback if that's not too complex to write).
>
> Now, if that's the path we're taking, all is going backward 5 years ago,
> and then my thinking is: we must reintroduce lower-constraints testing
> ASAP.
>
> Your thoughts everyone?

It would be nice to have clear guidance on this.  I tried to get
pre-release comments about what I planned to do with os-brick, but maybe
I didn't allow enough time or had an unclear subject line:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2022-February/027192.html

My concern about keeping the minima low is that what we're actually
testing with in the gate is pretty much whatever's in upper constraints.
  The previous lower-constraint job basically just checked to see if you
could co-install the minimum versions of dependencies and run pass unit
tests within a single project, which doesn't seem very realistic.

In any case, it would be better to have an openstack-wide policy so we
can raise minima in a coordinated way, rather than me forcing everyone
who uses os-brick to do whatever I do.