[kolla-ansible][nova]Problem with distribution of instance on servers

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 12:45:11 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 02:35 +0000, Tony Liu wrote:
> Build failure could be caused by different things, networking, storage, hypervisor, etc.
> For example, failure caused by Neutron service, that doesn't mean this hypervisor is
> not healthy, but because of that weigher, even Neutron service is recovered, this
> hypervisor is still excluded from holding instance. This doesn't make sense.
> I wouldn't enable this weigher until it's smart enough to know the failure is caused
> by hypervisor itself, but not anywhere else.
this is enabled by default on all deployments and has been for many years at this point.
we stongly recommend that it is used.

you can elect to disable it but if you do you can end up with vms constantly being sechdluled to the same set of broken hosts
this become more apprent as the deployment get more full.

while you coudl reduce the weight of this filter it high multipler was conse so that it coudl override the votes of the other weighers.

we likely could imporve the weigher perhaps have it age our the failed builds to account for traisient failures
or provide a nova-manage command to allow operators to reset the value for a host or soemthign like that but
in a healthy cloud you should not get failed builds that land on a host rater then cell0

you can get failed builds where there is no host avaiable but those will land in cell0 and not affect the host failure count.
you can also get failed builds due to quota ectra but that is validated in the api before we try to build the instance so if you
are getting failed builds it shoudl be an indication that you have at least a trasient problem with your deployment that shoudl be fixed.