OpenStack Trove experimental datastores

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 03:40:02 UTC 2022

Hi Dominic,

Although I'm not going to contribute to the Trove project anymore, I
disagree with what you said that using database containers is a bad
example, especially considering the project situation in the open source
community in the past several years.

I've explained this several times to different people when I was making the
change, but I don't mind repeating myself.

Trove was supporting multiple datastores previously and maintaining a bunch
of DIB image elements to build different guest images. However, the task of
keeping those elements up to date is not easy, and needs the domain
knowledge of the specific database, but most of the active contributors
have left and the project itself was on the edge of death.

It was that time when I picked up the project because the
database-as-a-service was on the service roadmap of our openstack based
public cloud. Given this is such a complicated project with such a small
team, it's impossible to maintain those different kinds of datastores. As a
result, I made the decision to simplify the trove guest image build process
and introduce container based database inside trove guest instance, so the
project only needs to maintain a single common guest image but to support
as more datastores as possible, offloading the database container image
maintenance work to other upstream teams who specialize in the database
technology area.

I don't think we had other better choices at that time.

Anyway, hope there will be more people could see my comment here and there
will be someone raises his hand to lead this project forward. I'm glad to
know Trove is deployed in your cloud, it's a pity that I didn't see any
contribution coming from the team behind your cloud.

---
Lingxian Kong