[stable][docs][i18n] sphinx docs jobs fail on old stable branches (no more py2 support)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Feb 8 14:41:01 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-08 12:17:28 +0100 (+0100), Előd Illés wrote:
[...]
> 3. revert the patch [1] that removed the py2 support of sphinx (maybe the
> easiest thing to do, though i understand that py2 support is something that
> shouldn't be kept forever)
[...]
> [1] https://review.opendev.org/c/zuul/zuul-jobs/+/827588
[...]

There are also some middle-ground options:

Because the primary impetus of that change was that the
ensure-sphinx role was installing Sphinx with Python 2 by default,
and required explicit overriding of the sphinx_python rolevar by any
consumers wishing to use a modern Python interpreter to do
documentation builds, it's possible the Zuul maintainers would agree
to revert it while switching the default sphinx_python to python3.
If they agree, I expect they'd want to set a deprecation timer to
remove it at some point in the future, so would still need to
address this problem sooner or later.

We could also copy the old role into the openstack-zuul-jobs repo
and use that, though we'd be forking from the zuul-jobs version and
taking on future maintenance of ours in the OpenStack community (at
least until we can safely drop Python 2.7 support and switch back to
the proper role again).

It's worth noting, that change brought something else to light...
our translation import jobs, which never overrode sphinx_python,
were using Python 2.7 all this time. There's some brainstorming
underway now to try and figure out how to squash the bitrot which
has accumulated there as a result.
--
Jeremy Stanley