Home openstack lab

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 18:43:37 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-02-02 at 18:18 +0000, PAIPURI Mahendra wrote:
> Hello Sean and Jean-François,
>
> Thanks for your answers. I am getting myself into the world of Openstack and I have few questions on similar subject.
>
> You mentioned that the development team is moving towards Debian images for containers for kolla ansible. Does it mean they will drop the support for CentOS 8 Stream in near future?
i dont work on kolla any more but i belive there plan is to drop support for building container on centos-8-stream and only support debian as an image
base in the openstack AA release.
centos should this be usable as a host os but the contaienr will jut use a differnt os internally.
that is generally fine. currently you can use centos 8 stream  for the contaienr base image but i knwo they dont plan to support centos 9 stream
so when python 3.6 is nolonger supported next cycle kollas will have to drop suport for centos 8 images in anycase.

> From my understanding, Openstack ansible can be deployed without use of linux containers at all. Did someone try this approach? Is it scalable and stable? The problem is we might have restrictions on using containers at our organisation. So, a container-less solution for deploying and operating Openstack would be very helpful for us.

i belive it can deploy with lxc/lxd container and without contianer yes.
i think without contaienr is what vexhost use for there public cloud in the past
althoguh it hink they have moved to use a k8s based operatro driven installs now.
https://opendev.org/vexxhost/openstack-operator

i think that is now what they use in production

i do not have that much expirce wiht osa but i would not expect the non contaierised version to be any less scalable the the contaienr based approch
osa does not use docker so there contaier based install is a singel app per contaier as far as im aware so they effectivly use the same playbooks to
install the pacages in the lxc contaienr when using containers.

its been about 2-3 years since i relly looked at how osa works so that could be out of date.

if you have restriciton on using containers and you do not like ansible you could also look at the openstack puppet modules
but i dont think they get much usage outside fo ooo so your milage will vary.

> At what scale TripleO starts to pay off? We will have a cluster of 100-200 nodes soon and we will deploy Openstack on it. What would be a good deployment method for that scale?

unless you have a vendor support contract with redhat i personally dont think there is a scale where it beniftis you in a self support mode form rdo.
that is just my personal opipion but ooo is very tied to the downstream redhat openstack product lifecyce for things like upgrades.
since we only support fast forward upgrades in our product that is all the redhat contibute really spend type impleemnting and testign so if that
does not work for you its not a good fit.