[dev][infra][qa][tact-sig] Tox 4.0.0 breaking changes

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Dec 9 16:03:09 UTC 2022

 ---- On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 13:14:56 -0800  Jay Faulkner  wrote ---

 > On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 1:12 PM Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
 > On 2022-12-08 12:44:17 -0800 (-0800), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > [...]
 > > It seems master jobs using tox<4[1] but all stable jobs using
 > > tox>=4.0[2] and failing. And both using ensure-tox
 > >
 > > [1] https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/8a4585f2961a4854ad96c7d2a188b557/log/controller/logs/pip3-freeze.txt#235
 > > [2] https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/78cddc1180ff40109bbe17df884d23d8/log/controller/logs/pip3-freeze.txt#227
 > [...]
 >
 > Those are Tempest jobs, which do some of their own installing of tox
 > directly rather than just relying on the version provided by
 > ensure-tox. Check with the QA team, since they've been working on
 > fixes for those.
 >

 > > Does it mean all the stable jobs also will start using the latest
 > > tox (>4.0) which is breaking the jobs and we need to fix them in
 > > stable branches too?
 > [...]
 >
 > Unless we change those jobs to pin to an old version of tox for
 > stable branches, yes.
 >
 > I'd be extremely in favor of this change. We should do everything we can to reduce the amount of effort needed for individual projects to keep stable branches passing tests.

Yeah, I have pinned it on stable branches testing in devstack. It will take care of most of
the devstack-based jobs unless there is an explicit installation of tox in other jobs but that
can be pinned in a similar way.

https://review.opendev.org/q/I9a138af94dedc0d8ce5a0d519d75779415d3c30b+-branch:master