[ovn-bgp-agent][neutron] - expose_tenant_networks bug

Luis Tomas Bolivar ltomasbo at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 10:25:26 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 11:31 AM Satish Patel <satish.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
>
> Very interesting, you are saying it will only expose tenant ip on gateway
> port node? Even we have DVR setup in cluster correct?

Almost. The path is the same as in a DVR setup without BGP (with the
difference you can reach the internal IP). In a DVR setup, when the VM is
in a tenant network, without a FIP, the traffic goes out through the cr-lrp
(ovn router gateway port), i.e.,  the node hosting that port which is
connecting the router where the subnet where the VM is to the provider
network.

Note this is a limitation due to how ovn is used in openstack neutron,
where traffic needs to be injected into OVN overlay in the node holding the
cr-lrp. We are investigating possible ways to overcome this limitation and
expose the IP right away in the node hosting the VM.

> Does gateway node going to expose ip for all other compute nodes?
>

> What if I have multiple gateway node?

No, each router connected to the provider network will have its own ovn
router gateway port, and that can be allocated in any node which has
"enable-chassis-as-gw". What is true is that all VMs in a tenant networks
connected to the same router, will be exposed in the same location .

> Did you configure that flag on all node or just gateway node?

I usually deploy with 3 controllers which are also my "networker" nodes, so
those are the ones having the enable-chassis-as-gw flag.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 25, 2022, at 4:14 AM, Luis Tomas Bolivar <ltomasbo at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

> I tested it locally and it is exposing the IP properly in the node where
> the ovn router gateway port is allocated. Could you double check if that is
> the case in your setup too?
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM Luis Tomas Bolivar <ltomasbo at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 6:04 PM Satish Patel <satish.txt at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am setting up ovn-bgp-agent lab in "BGP mode" and i found everything
>>> working great except expose tenant network
>>> https://ltomasbo.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/ovn-bgp-agent-testing-setup/
>>>
>>> Lab Summary:
>>>
>>> 1 controller node
>>> 3 compute node
>>>
>>> ovn-bgp-agent running on all compute node because i am using
>>> "enable_distributed_floating_ip=True"
>>>

>>> ovn-bgp-agent config:
>>>
>>> [DEFAULT]
>>> debug=False