[swift] Terraform has deprecated the Swift backend

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Thu Aug 18 21:18:21 UTC 2022

Hey,

It has come to our attention that Terraform has recently added
deprecation messages to a number of backends, including Swift[0],
warning that these backends will be removed in a future version of
Terraform. Unfortunately we don't have the bandwidth within Catalyst
Cloud to pick this up, but I was hopeful that there'd be others on this
list who share our concern.

It looks as though Terraform has had the Swift backend marked as
unmaintained since at least March 2020[1].

If there is another backend, or another method of managing Swift that
isn't the S3 API then I'd be keen to hear about it.

Kind regards,
Andrew

[0] https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform/commit/7941b2fbdc33a42a68b9b32af51e09f7df35fe66
[1] https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform/commit/c434db158e631b0bfddb92e1dd342b924880f29a