Metering, billing software components for Openstack

KK CHN kkchn.in at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:56:58 UTC 2022

I have 2 queries here.

Preference for query 2  ( as the query 1 is only for clarifying why it
failed with [1]  and succeeded with [2] on the same VM .)

Query 1.
There are installation instructions which I followed in [1] ..  But On my
fresh ubuntu20.04 LTS, focal  Multiple times    devstack fails with the
below local.conf entries .  Could someone point  out why this fails ??
(Without Ceilometer and gnocchi   enable_plugin lines, my devstack installs
successfully.  With these lines it always fails with the Sqlalchemy module
can't be loaded error  (dbcounter plugin = dbcounter module unable to load,
all the time !!!!)

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/cloudkitty/latest/admin/devstack.html

I succeeded to install devstack with  Ceilometer with Gnocchi  only when I
followed [2] on Ubuntu 20.04 .

[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CloudKitty/Devstack  ..

This time stack completed successfully after 1229 sec.

Why does [2] only work for me  ?? and [1] always fails with the Error  like
this " sqlalchemy.exc unable to load the module.      dbcounter plugin  =
dbcounter ," ??

My working copy of local.conf is

cat > local.conf << EOF
[[local|localrc]]

ADMIN_PASSWORD=secret
DATABASE_PASSWORD=secret
RABBIT_PASSWORD=secret
SERVICE_PASSWORD=secret
HOST_IP=10.184.48.94
# ceilometer
enable_service ceilometer-acompute ceilometer-acentral
ceilometer-anotification ceilometer-collector
enable_service ceilometer-alarm-notifier ceilometer-alarm-evaluator
enable_service ceilometer-api
# horizon
enable_service horizon
# cloudkitty
enable_plugin cloudkitty https://github.com/stackforge/cloudkitty master
enable_service ck-api ck-proc
EOF

This completes the devstack   ./stack.sh  with the finish message..

Query 2.

Once devstack completes the installation, how to access or view the
ceilometer/ cloudkitty/gnocchi  for the billing and metering system ??
Or how to use and view the installed features of
ceilometer/cloudkitty/gnocchi output / usage statistics of this devstack
cloud installation  ?

Thank you,
Krish